Saturday, October 30, 2010

Someone is going to get an ear full....

A few weeks ago, my Husband and I got an invitation in the mail inviting us to a Dinner for Labor and Delivery Patients to share our experiences with the other attendees. I made a joke that we could talk about the our experience of finding out I had pre-eclampsia too late or when we went to check in that I had to explain why I was there to the Front Desk and a number of other things. Ultimately, I ignored the invitation, thinking it was a mistake, and shook it off after some tears. Friday night at Dinner, Tyler let me know that there was a phone message on our answering machine reminding us of the Dinner and hey, we could even bring our new baby with us! 

Holy Shit. Did they really just call us to invite our dead daughter to a dinner with an entire room of new parents? I mean I guess I could bring her urn to the Dinner with us, but I am thinking that might be awkward. Tyler did try to call and get us off the list, but no one answered... So this week, I am calling the CEO of the Hospital and getting this all squared away. No one should have to be harrassed by the Hospital that our Daughter was delivered still in. She was dealt with by them, and yet they made this HUGE mistake. The letter was innocent enough, but to call us, and tell us we could bring our child with us...... yah. Not too good.

Not quite sure how I am still able to get through a day with such inconsideration in my life. Seriously, people need to get a clue.

11 comments:

nikinikinine said...

I would have the hospital CEO's head on a silver platter after that phone call. I might even feel saucy enough to call the local newspaper.

Seriously, it's not hard. Keep an effing file.

Huge hugs to you.

Mon said...

I don't think the person who is organizing the dinner has access to confidential records of the patients and such as she wouldn't know your baby was still born. The records are kept in private places the admin stuff can't access and while it is all a horrible circumstance, it's not her fault.
Im so sorry to hear that though.

cjdubs13 said...

That is horrible- you should definitely say something. If nothing else it may spare someone else the pain of getting that call.

Lindsay said...

@Molly- Actually the person is the Nurse Manager for L&D and would have worked with our file directly....that is the sad part.

Hannah said...

Yes, that HIPPA thing gets in the way. Our support group has talked about hospitals making a column of deceased children in their excel files so that they STOP sending mail about that!

Definitely call the CEO.

Marisa said...

Oh L, that is horrible! Seriously, how could they make a mistake like that??? I totally agree with you calling the CEO and blasting them for that clusterf*ck. You and Tyler absolutely should not have to deal with that. I'm so sorry this happened to you ((( hugs ))).

KAM said...

I'm so sorry. I had some similar things happen to me at our hospital. About a month after I delivered, the doctor's office called to ask why I wasn't at my ultrasound. Ummm because she died 6 weeks ago? The lady didn't know what to say. Then, just in time for our due date in July, I kept getting information from the hospital in the mail about bringing home our baby. I was livid. You would think they would be a little more careful about these kinds of things.

Unknown said...

unacceptable- totally! i'm sorry :(

Kristin (kekis) said...

That is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. Even if the person calling had not known your exact situation, the hospital needs to have better systems in place. It's just cruel and unnecessary, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

Anonymous said...

that is awful! i'm so sorry!

Wiley said...

I laughed out loud at bringing the urn... Because that's exactly the response I would be thinking in that scenario! Though honestly, since our daughter's is still in the center console of my husband's car because I can't bring myself to figure out what the hell to do with it, maybe that's why I laughed.

Wow to the mismanagement by the hospital.

I just stumbled across your blog and really haven't read the story yet, but my thoughts have already gone out to you and your daughter.